近日读书报告 (加Mystic River)

入得谷来,祸福自求。
Jun

近日读书报告 (加Mystic River)

Post by Jun » 2005-08-07 19:47

No access to Chinese input now. I can't promise to discuss every book below:

1. Freakonomics

2. Mystic River (audio book)

I chose to read the book before seeing the movie, so that my impression of the characters are not overtaken by the actors' performances. Dennis Lehane has written a number of mysteries, and therefore so is this book classified. Yet it does not really fit into the genre. The solving of the crime, the investigation and police procedures take up a small portion of the book. The bulk of the novel is a psychological study of a group of characters, one of which is the community of Boston where the story is set.

Meet Jimmy Marcus, a born leader, a born crime boss, a fearless and fearsome man, who gave up his criminal career to become a law-abiding bakery owner in town for love -- his love of Katie, his beautiful-beyond-belief 19-year-old daughter whom he raised single-handedly. Katie's stepmother, Annabeth, is another strong and intriguing character who grew up the only little sister to a bunch of wild, mean, half-crazed boys known as the Savage brothers.

The murder of Katie on the eve of her secret plan of elopement with her boyfriend to Vegas broke loose all hell in the community. More secrets from the past are stirred up, people's lives were turned upside down, and more murders followed.

One this side of the law is State Trooper Sean Devine, who was more educated than most in town, went to college, and came from a more middle-class family. Yet somehow he stayed in the community, watching over it from the hills by the prison nearby. He was tired and numb from his knowledge of the human frailty through his years of being on the force -- the pettiness, the crimes, the senselessness of people's existence. This weariness had strained his marriage and his emotional health. Now he was investigating the murder of Katie, the daughter of his childhood friend.

Under suspicion of everyone is Dave Boyle, a loser from childhood, the branded outcast of the town because he was abducted as a boy by 2 child-molesters. Although he escaped, although the culprits had died, nothing could wash off the shame in him, and he remained an untouchable man isolated from others, including his own wife Celeste.

Many have commented on how the novel has a feel of Greek tragedy, because its theme rests on the invisible and unalterable hand of Fate. All the main characters tried to escape from their respective fate at one time or another, but as illustrated in the fate of Katie who dreamed of running away to Vegas and marriage, no one could really get away. A forboding gloom always hung over Dave Boyle, until finally events and people (including his own wife) conspired to kill him dead. It took me a while to realize that however strong and in-control Jimmy Marcus seems, he too is a victim of his Fate, from which he temporarily escaped because of Katie, but slipped right back into once she was gone.

The novel is one of the most pessimistic and fatalistic I've read, too fatalistic even for a fatalist like me. In that sense, it doesn't seem particularly American, which is all about individual's power to control his own destiny.

Several remarkable things about the book's artistic achievement:

The characters are so vivid externally and internally that they almost "leap out of the pages", to borrow a cliche. The psychological depth of each one is impressive as the author juggles from one person's POV to another's. Even 3rd-person narratives usually focus on 1 or 2 perspectives (eg, Kurt Wallander series), but this novel switches from one person to another with careful construction and deliberate strategy. It is worth studying -- For example, when you have a scene between Jimmy and Annabeth, or between Dave and Celeste, it is of vital importance whether the passage is told from the man's POV or the wife's POV. And it is tricky.

The structure is very intricate. A web of people and circumstances conspired to lead to the final tragedy. In a way it reminds me of Garcia Marquez's "Chronicle of a Death Fortold." The complexity of events and the order of things revealed to the reader test the author's skills, and Lehane handled it beautifully.

The author himself said in an interview that the town itself is one of the characters. This is true. The setting, the community, the general atmosphere of this decaying place, are extremely vivid to any reader who has never lived in such a place. It is one of the forces that, with other forces, formed this inescapable Fate for the characters.

I intend to watch the DVD in the next few days. It would be interesting to see how these elements in the book are handled. One thing is already clear: Sean Penn fits perfectly the description of Jimmy in the book. Will report later my impression of the adaptation.

3. Calvino's Italian Folktales

4. Fingersmith (by Sara Waters)

虽然每篇书评都拿这本书跟Dickens的雾都孤儿相比,而且作者自己也毫不讳言(故事里面甚至有一段女主角到剧场看Oliver Twist戏的情节), 我觉得Wilkie Collins的白衣女人也是来源之一。这就是现代作者的烦恼了,太阳底下无新事,编故事排列组合,似乎跳不出常见的桥段,模仿经典几乎是下意识的,虽然我可以肯定Waters是有意模仿Dickens & Collins的,只不过更上一层楼,把一些情节和技巧发扬光大。

Fingersmith里面的贼头子比狄更斯的费根强多了,简直是个慈母。她手下的贼帮也好象盗亦有道。相比之下,虐待儿童的是住在大房子里有钱的老绅士,变态阴森。作者似乎想说,在贫民窟的泥潭里打滚也好过住在上层社会的精神地狱里,这根本就是颠覆Oliver Twist的命运和他的大团圆结局。当然啦,差别在于,在维多利亚时代里做个上流社会的男人是挺开心的,做个女人可就惨了。

5. The Great Gatsby

I read this book at Helen's urging (OK, strong recommendation). My first impression was Wow, the characters all talk like they were straight out of a black-and-white Hollywood movie from the 30s. Then I realized that Fitzgerald did write scripts for the studios back then. No wonder. The second impression was Hey a lot of passages sound like they were written in a drunken haze. Then I read that FSF was indeed an alcoholic. It reminded me of my thoughts while reading Hammet's The Thin Man, which was an amazement at how heavily and frequently everybody drank throughout the book.

What's cool about the book was its play with time. The legend had it that FSF kept revising and revising it all the way to the moment before the galley proofs went to the printers. Also in some ways it reminded me of the movie script of "Unforgiven." Both have to do with the American myths -- how they are created and told, and their unreliability and fragility. Although FSF was perhaps more earnest, despite the hint of skepticism. Both tell the myths in a second or third hand, placing a distance between the myth and the reader.

Is Gatsby the hero of the book? I don't know. To me he is the least tangible character, the most difficult to believe or get a handle on. All the other characters were so completely true that I could feel their breath. In that sense, I compare it to The Razor's Edge, which has almost exactly the same perspective and the same problem -- the key character is so mythical that he does not quiet seem real. And there is another similarity. Helen thought the narrator in Razor's Edge loves his subject Larry Darrell. I think the narrator in The Great Gatsby, Nick Carraway, is obviously in love with Gatsby himself. Neither Larry nor Gatsby is particularly convincing as a person (they both practically walked on water), but then perhaps it's just my own deficiency that I am hopelessly unsusceptible to mystics and lofty ideals.

6. Lolita (the first 50 pages)

I tried to read this book for a local book club I attend occasionally. Gave up after the first few chapters. Not that it's not an entertaining book, but it's just so damned academic, even the vulgarity is so high brow. A woman at the book club complained that she was greatly disturbed by the subject matter and the naturalistic tone of the narrative straight from the POV of a pedaphile. How awful! :vomit:

I wasn't too disturbed myself, however, because it just didn't seem quite realistic, the storytelling. It was so full of inside jokes, puns, parody, post-modern self-consciousness. It's not the dark and filthy and tragic reality that must plague the life of a real pedaphile, but rather an exercise of an ivory-tower literary guru doing an almost clinical dissection of the pathology, all the while mocking both the subject and possibly the (expected) cringes from the audience.

Nabokov is a genius with words, no doubt, but he is not my cup of tea. He is too dispassionate, too detached, too uninvolved, too smart to the degree of being smarmy. Nevertheless, one has to LOL and :worthy: at his matery at the language. People often marvel at his command of English especially considering his own complaints that English is grossly gross and inadequate compared with Russion to express his more complex and subtle intentions. I believe the contrary -- that perhaps the self-claimed subtlety and complexity of Russian helped shape his sensibility and manipulation of English.

I could not go too much further with the book in 3 weeks, because it is dense and hardly fast reading. To "get" the pun, the word-play, the parody, one had to slow down and comb through the words. All the jokes are of the kind that you had to think for a few seconds before you LOL. It's just too time-consuming. For a bigger bang of my buck I'd rather read Dave Barry.

He's incredibly clever, true, but I couldn't feel enough warmth from him to nurture a bacterial orphan. That's ultimately what prevents me from being fully invested in Nabokov. After all, I'm not the type who would get her pants charmed off by pure intelligence, hard, flawless, and colorless like a diamond. He might be one of the smartest authors in the history, but he is definitely a snob as well, and somehow snobbiness just pushes all the wrong buttons for me.
Last edited by Jun on 2005-08-20 16:00, edited 6 times in total.

豪情

Post by 豪情 » 2005-08-07 21:32

He's incredibly clever, true, but I couldn't feel enough warmth from him to nurture a bacterial orphan. That's ultimately what prevents me from being fully invested in Nabokov. After all, I'm not the type who would get her pants charmed off by pure intelligence, hard, flawless, and colorless like a diamond. He might be one of the smartest authors in the history, but he is definitely a snob as well, and somehow snobbiness just pushes all the wrong buttons for me.
我看有些中文作品有时也有这感觉, 但老实说, 还没觉得足够SMART, 卖弄小聪明时候多一点.

CAVA

Post by CAVA » 2005-08-08 0:28

especially considering his own complaints that English is grossly gross and inadequate compared with Russion to express his more complex and subtle intentions
呵呵呵呵

helenClaire

Post by helenClaire » 2005-08-08 13:48

豪情是在说钱钟书么? :-P

<<The Great Gatsby>>,喜欢到我这个份上,早不讲道理了,就是好来就是好。不论读多少遍,甚至读完结尾马上回头读第一页,还是丝毫不减弱它给我的新鲜感。
FSF把繁华和凄凉的反差写得十分透彻,按理说他本人少年得志不应该这么颓废,大概有的人天生带着一种悲剧性。重读了一遍,party scenes的确象一个醉酒的客人事后的回忆,可我还是没有发现叙述者对Gatsby有那个意思 :-P 。我因为代入Nick Carraway,自然把他当成故事主角。
Gatsby的模糊性是作者故意安排的,证据见他给编辑的信里,回答对编辑提出的把这个人物鲜明化的几点建议。 也许是为了保护原型的隐私。我个人另有揣测:梦想只是梦想,哪怕是“造福全人类”的梦想也未必经得起放大镜下的推敲。FSF即要让读者感到Gatsby梦想对象的不值得,又不想让读者因此对他追求的行为感到太荒谬,有个平衡的需要,所以写得含混隐晦。

Jun

Post by Jun » 2005-08-20 9:32

Kick it up myself for new content.

DeBeers

Post by DeBeers » 2005-08-20 13:44

我看过电影后再看jun的小说读后感,觉得老牛仔拍的很忠实原著,演员都选的很好,除了kevin bacon不太如人意,大概是sean penn和tim robinson演得太好了。另外演sean penn 老婆的laura liney也有点单薄。但是就是被我在电影开始没多久就猜出了凶手,感觉暗示得有点过分了。
钻石恒久远

Jun

Post by Jun » 2005-08-20 16:07

I wonder how the movie treats the women characters. The book reveals less psychology about the women (Annabeth and Celeste) than the men (Jimmy and Dave), but both women are equally fascinating as their husbands if not more so. Although it was the men who acted and killed, it was the women who put their act in motion. It was the wives that consciously and unconsciously led the men down the road of destruction and despair.

The book gave very little away about who did the killing, but at the end it felt like karma -- as if the dead came out of the grave to exact revenge, as if death and murder circulate generation after generation. Again it is very fatalistic. I wonder why Eastwood is so attracted to fatalistic source materials like this, Unforgiven, Mystic River, Million Dollar Baby, even Bridges of Madison County had this flavor.

ravaged

Post by ravaged » 2005-08-20 17:00

now i want to go read the mystic river. i'm not a fan of the film
(the directing to be precise), although it was partially
redeemed by bouts of brilliant acting. the directing seems heavy-handed
yet unsure. maybe i'm just biased; never a fan of eastwood,
and absolutely hated the million dollar babe.

all the time i was watching the movie, i kept wondering about the
book: the movie seemed an attempt at portraying something much
larger and deeper, beyond its capacity. would love to hear what
you think of it...
Now that happy moment between the time the lie is told and when it is found out.

Jun

Post by Jun » 2005-08-20 22:09

If you have not read the book, I'm a little hesitant to say more about it. It's somewhat long, but a relatively fast read. On the surface there are many admirable things about the writing -- the vivid characters, the setting, the place. Since it's in Boston, I imagine you'd have a better feel for it; to me it seems very authentic. And there is a feeling of the place being old and a trap for its residents, the closeness of the houses and the people, the stillness of time. It was only after I was finished and looking back, did I realize the layers beneath the surface. What I find most intriguing is the author's attitude toward the characters, especially Jimmy. Seems contradictory but fitting, extremely uncompromising.

Sean is not as complex and tragic as Jimmy and Dave even in the book.

I didn't much like Million Dollar Baby, either. More indifferent than dislike. Eastwood sometimes shows an odd mixture of sentimentality and gloom, and something a little Catholic (guilt, sin, self-loathing, etc.). I'm usually not crazy about his movies, but he did make one of my all-time favorite movies Unforgiven. Perhaps it was the script, which on my list of best is second to only The Third Man. I can recite many lines from the movie.

One thing Eastwood excels at, however, is the way he handles actors. Apparently he gets them to do their best work. He gives them room to do their own thing, and he knows what they are capable of.

Jun

Post by Jun » 2005-08-23 11:18

昨晚看了DVD,但是没有commentary的版本。

Elysees

Post by Elysees » 2005-08-23 12:08

我比较不喜欢电影里sean penn的老婆,不知道书里是怎么写她的。这个女人,尤其到最后部分,让我很寒

Jun

Post by Jun » 2005-08-23 14:20

看过小说再看电影,这个效果跟先看电影完全不同,尤其是这种有点悬念的片子。我既然知道所有的情节发展和人物背景,注意力就完全放在表演和摄影上了。有些地方则完全没有感觉--比如只看过电影的人是否注意到成天跟着Jimmy的几个混混不仅是兄弟,而且是Annabeth的哥哥,他们全家就这么一个小妹妹,而且Annabeth就在这群半野蛮人的家庭里长大,她爹Theo和几个哥哥就住在他们家楼上。小说里两个女人Annabeth Marcus和Celeste Boyle都相当,嗯,ambiguous,介乎正反善恶之间,比男主角们更加捉摸不定。电影里Celeste的戏还算不少,但是她的家庭历史和跟Jimmy微妙的地方,不知道是否能给观众留下线索。Annabeth的戏都被砍光了,独独留下最后那段非常Lady MacBeth的话,的确有点jarring,突兀。这也是整个改编的问题--Helgeland改编的LA Confidential,完全打乱原著的情节,大刀阔斧地重写,留下一个神似但不形似的电影。Mystic River恐怕有点太过终于原著了,有些成份没有忍痛割爱。我怀疑观众对Sean和他老婆的关系觉得不知所云。书里就有目的不太清楚的疑惑,放电影里似乎不必要。电影对话非常忠于原著,很多都是照搬的,有些场景跟我想象的几乎一模一样,不过也有它自己加的几处神来之笔--如Jimmy背上刺青的十字架和人行道上刻的三人名字。摄影很漂亮,Eastwood一贯喜欢用的半明半暗的人脸,在阴影中闪烁不定,据说是从The Third Man里学来的。

下面说说表演。