[读书报告]The Night Gardener

入得谷来,祸福自求。
Jun

[读书报告]The Night Gardener

Post by Jun » 2007-11-28 13:52

Book cover:
Author George Pelecanos:

Reading a particular author is like meeting a person who may become your friend. I, as the reader, stumble my way into the dark swamp of his words and, in turn, his mind and attitude and personality, and heart. If I like him and we seem to agree on important things, we strike up a friendship. This friendship starts tentative, but as we get to know each other more, it either peters out or deepens. Bonding with a friend who is wise and genuine, I get to learn new things from him and become a better person.

I met Pelecanos upon his first novel, "A Firing Offense," about a Greek American young man who accidentally becomes a private detective. The novel, he said at 2006 National Book Festival, he wrote longhand on a yellow pad in 10 years of drifting through a series of blue-collar jobs. He had a story to tell and was compelled to tell it. The handwritten pad was mailed to a publisher in New York and, after a year, was bought and published. It has all the trappings of a first novel --- a bit wobbly in style and a little clumsy in plotting. But the vitality flowing through the pages was palpable. The element that won me over was the impeccable description of the neighborhoods of Washington, DC.

I then read a couple of novels he wrote in the ensuing years, which kept my attention but did not sweep me of my feet.

A week ago I picked up "The Night Gardener" (2006), his most recent work, at the urging of an enthusiastic coworker. It turned out to be the finest of his to date and one of the best crime/detective/mystery novel I've ever read.

The night I got to Chapter thirty-something near the end, when the big twist was revealed, I had to put it down and wept. It was both devastating and exhilarating. That was the moment I fell definitely, head-over-heels into this beautiful friendship, and I knew his future works will be a trusted old friend to whom I can devote all of my trust and loyalty.

Last night I finished the final few chapters. Then I wept again. It is that kind of a book. A tremendous book.

The novel opens rather conventionally. On a damp evening in 1985, a body of a 13-year-old girl was found in a community garden in a poor district in DC. A middle-aged black detective named TC Cook, one of the finest on MPD, was examining the crime scene. The murderer was apparently a serial killer who had already killed twice. Behind him were two rookie white policemen, the cocky and ambitious Dan Holiday and the straight-arrow, slightly dull Gus Ramone.

If you think the entire book is about the three of them teaming up to catch this serial killer, coined "The Palindrome Murderer" or "The Night Gardener", you'd be wrong, but you won't be disappointed.

The novel mostly takes place 20 years later, when another young teenage boy's body was found at a community garden, a gunshot in the head. There were similarities and notable differences between this and the previous murders. The three policemen at the 1985 crime scene all thought of The Palindrome murders 20 years earlier, because this boy, Asa Johnson, also had a name that spelled the same backward and forward.

By 2005, however, the three policemen had ended up at places they hadn't quite anticipated -- as what often happens in real life. Cook had retired, had a stroke, and was living alone. Well, not quite alone, since the ghosts of the three murdered children continued to haunte him every day. The killing had stopped in 85 after three deaths. The possible perp he suspected had gone to jail for something else but was recently released. He often sat in the car a short distance away from the man's house, waiting for something to happen.

Gus Ramone, who had planned to "put in his 25 years and move on," was now a married man with two children and had made detective on the homicide squad. His family life took up much of the book, as his teenage son had been a classmate and a friend with the victim Asa Johnson. As a middle-aged working man, a father and husband, this feeling of powerlessness crept into his heart -- Can he protect his son or other teenagers from murder and violence? Can he protect his son from the racism around him? His children were half black and had to constantly fend off unfair treatment and humiliations from the adults at school and in the community.

Dan Holiday, who had great expectations for his career and felt he was a natural-born detective, had unexpectedly been kicked off the force for morally questionable conduct and ran a limo and private security business. He drank with other middle-aged men living in quite desperation. He routinely picked up women in hotel bars for anonymous one-night stands. The only emotional anchor in his life now was that he still dreamed of being a policeman. He was the contrast character for Ramone -- unattached, restless, heavy-drinking, rule-breaking, risk-taking, a loner and a rogue.

From my description the characters and situations seem like stock figures. You can instantly recall the overused "the-Odd-Couple" type of male pairing: Lewis and Martin, the Lethal Weapon movies, Luke Skywalker and Han Solo ... But Pelecanos' treatment of the "types" of middle-aged men are simultaneously familiar and original. Actually many elements in this (and his other) novels are both familiar and original. He is not afraid of taking conventional story devices and setup and twisting them sideways, upside down, and inside out.

Given the maturity of the police-procedural/thriller genre, many authors have tried to put their personal stamps on most otherwise familiar elements --- the driven, obsessed or grumpy, reluctant detective, increasingly bizarre motives of the perp, convoluted plots and puzzles, the tension or contrast between partners ... Pelecanos' personal stamp, however, is the plainest and most effective --- an unrelenting honesty and a stunning realism.

We are so used to lazy cliches in books, movies, television, even news, that "narratives" and stereotypes have hijacked our perception of real people and real life. It is then startling, occasionally shocking, to see hot-blooded humanity thrust upon your in all of its glorious contradictions and lovely flaws. It is not easy to quickly settle into comfortable sympathy with his male characters. Instead they really earn it, slowly, with a moral ambiguity that we encounter all too often in life. Once you get to know these guys though, your heart just can never be elsewhere.

Besides romance, nothing is more distorted into tiresome routine in fiction than crimes, especially urban crimes and the depiction of what is vaguely known as "America's race problem." Walter Mosley is the master of the West Coast brand of racial conflicts. Pelecanos' precise depiction of the racial environment in Washington DC area paints a different picture. It's not to say that there is no blatant racism in DC, but the racial relationship has its unique flavor compared with NYC, Baltimore, the South, and particularly the West-Coast type of self-deluded enlightenment and extreme economical segregation.

It is very, very difficult to balance the entangled emotions and penetrate the perceptive wall between the black and the white, and discuss the heart of the matter with a stand but without condescension. To do so would be doubly difficult for a white author, because the powerful position is a blind spot that most high-minded liberals cannot see past. Perhaps it was the lack of too much schooling and the years in blue-collar jobs that gave Pelecanos the advantage over the ivory-tower elitists who defend themselves with "I have friends who are African American ..." Pelecanos captures the truth with the precision of a surgeon's knife, a perfect example of "show, don't tell".

Well, enough digressions. Back to the novel and the many strands of plot and theme he juggles. Interracial marriage and mixed-race children. The seen and unseen crimes against children. The disintegration of communities. The role of policemen in relation to others in the community. The condition of a young black person living in a poor urban neighborhood. Illegal drug deals. Guns and gun-control laws of DC and the country at large. Flawed but decent people struggling to do the best they know how. Morality and the law. Hopes and dreams, including the dashed ones and the ones that still have a chance to come true. Redemption. And, one of my favorite themes as you know, the challenges and dilemmas in the middle age (in this case it's about middle-aged men, obviously).

Who killed Asa Johnson? Would the 20-year-old serial murders be solved? Would Ramone and Holiday overcome the hostility and resentment between them and team up to solve the crimes? In the previous Pelecanos novels, the whodonit is always an afterthought and a side plot, while the people and their lives take center stage. The Night Gardener is more like a conventional mystery and does dangle the final revelation a little bit until the final chapters. It is also more adherent to the police procedural genre. Suspects were interrogated. (but still with a twist from the bravados of conventional characters). Evidence was examined and reported. Witnesses were sought and questioned. Surveillance was conducted. Nevertheless, the lives of ordinary characters remain the heart of the story. Even minor characters were palpably true to life. Not that I have known any policeman in life or studied law enforcement or witnessed a minute of crime investigation --- I have earned my credentials solely from reading and watching way too much crime dramas, mostly fiction but some "true-crime" stuff. Yet the description of police work is probably the most believable and closest to true-crime accounts. At a couple of places he even made small jokes about Law and Order. Remarkable, or perhaps baffling, how he was able to shun almost all gimmicks so pervasive in this genre and maintain an understated, stark authenticity with neither cheap thrills nor deliberate gloom.

Perhaps because I had read Pelecanos' debut novel along with Denis Lehane's first book, the mental connection and comparison has become almost subconscious. Indeed both men have a similar grittiness and very (heterosexual?) male point of view. Both wrote for the acclaimed TV series "The Wire," although Pelecanos more deeply so. I am very impressed with Lehane, but more fond of Pelecanos. I could be biased by my own geographic affiliation --- not only the places but the local culture and attitude Pelecanos writes about resonate. I also prefer his warmth toward his characters and (deeply buried) optimism, in contrast to Lehane's fatalistic view on life and fate and evil. Catholics all believe in evil. Lehane's tendency toward high drama and mysticism is fine, but pure realism is more difficult and attractive.

On the one hand, I wish there were more authentic and unflinching voices to portray the female middle life like Pelecanos has done for men. On the other hand, peeking into the masculine viewpoint through such honest, no-nonsense writing is thrilling for a female reader.

After this excessively long book review, I begin to have second thoughts about recommending Pelecanos' novels to others. I love them myself, but all the brutal honesty, the somewhat macho attitude, the cool unsentimental observation, the relentless authenticity, the head-on encounter with all the contradictions and ambiguities of life and people... He is not for the faint of heart or the seekers of dreamy escape. He gives no certainty or resolution, because life gives neither.
Last edited by Jun on 2007-12-01 21:09, edited 9 times in total.
此喵已死,有事烧纸

karen

Post by karen » 2007-11-28 14:18

He maybe able to sell you the book with his mug shot (looks like your type, btw), 但我得需要你的读书报告! :-D

洛洛

Post by 洛洛 » 2007-11-28 14:29

我这个假期看了john grisham的《the innocent man》,是讲两个人被无辜的判入death row,坐了十一年监狱,最后终以释放的真事。(其中一个不久后去世)非常sad的一本书,整个小镇(在奥克拉何马附近)的警察,科学检查人员,检察官,法官,陪审团都非常的顽固,昏庸,偏执,不诚实。让人觉得在这种地方住,万一有事也挺倒霉的。《a civil action》里面是波士顿聪明的医生和律师的斗智斗勇,而这本书就是一群笨蛋。
这本书我买了没看完,在海里坐船遇到风浪,背包全湿了,到了沙滩晾一晾干,回来背包又湿了,整本书彻底泡汤。
混坛上另一颗新星
luoluo11.ycool.com

dropby

Post by dropby » 2007-11-28 15:12

这本书我也看了, 不过看得比较潦草. 除了最主要的案子, 还讲了其他两个很明显是误判的案子. 其中一个案子好象根本就没有翻案的希望. 都是死刑案。

错案也不见得完全是笨. 主案中本来应该是最大嫌犯的那个人, 而且很明显有很大嫌疑, 但是根本没有被查, 因为他好象是毒品贩子, 而他的毒品生意好象是跟警察有勾结的.

我看完这本书, 对司法系统完全失去信任。警察其实最在乎的并不是公理正义, 在社会压力很大的情况下, 经常不过是抓个替罪羊了事。一个人最好不要有案底或者成为社会边缘人。否则一旦有什么事很容易就找你顶岗。而且一个人一旦被误判了,翻案简直就太太太困难了。一般即使翻案了,人也被毁了。书中的两个主角已经非常幸运了,翻了案,又获得赔偿。但是其中一个本来精神就不正常,牢狱生活完全把他毁了。制造冤假错案的警察和起诉官也没得到什么惩罚,而且居然仍然坚信自己没抓错人。

American Justice讲的全都是真实的案例,都是冤假错案或怀疑是冤假错案的。有一集也是讲一个冤案。一个警察的情人被杀,警察是怀疑对象。被害时间警察其实正在参加一个派对,但他中途出去过一趟送人回家。案子很久都没破,过了几年,警察被找去问话,自己觉得身正不怕影斜,有问必答。然后问他离开和返回派对的时间,警察说不记得了,问得人说你就大概估计一下好了。警察就估计了一下。最后就是这个估计的时间,在没有任何物理政局的情况下把警察判了罪,死刑。警察也是幸运的不行,死刑还没执行,真正的罪犯良心发现跑出来自首。不是惯犯,是冲动性犯罪。要是个惯犯没有良心这回事的,警察不就完蛋了嘛。

以前看电影动不动一个人就要lawyered up, 我还纳闷呢。现在看来,真的是很有必要啊。

CAVA

Post by CAVA » 2007-11-29 4:05

如果要跟Pelecanos攀攀交情 :mrgreen: ,从哪本书看起比较好?圣诞新年假期最适合看侦探小说了。

Jun

Post by Jun » 2007-11-30 22:39

写完了。我现在颇有点犹豫是否应该推荐他的书给别人。如果你读过并且喜欢梅格雷探长,或者喜欢Wallander系列,我觉得你会喜欢他。否则就很难讲。It is not for everyone。要看读者和作者之间是否有chemistry了。
此喵已死,有事烧纸

CAVA

Post by CAVA » 2007-12-01 12:17

You do write so much better in English - just an observation, please do not take offence.

Sometimes I feel ashamed that I hardly read enough, but when I do catch up with something you recommend it's always good to come back to these comments of yours.

Jun

Post by Jun » 2007-12-01 17:38

You do write so much better in English - just an observation, please do not take offence.
:chicken001: None taken. 事实如此。我写中文只能把话说明白,无废话,21。漂亮或优美是搞不来的。小时候既没有背唐诗也没有读红楼梦的结果,总还是一粒科学中年。

我觉得George Pelecanos 这两年的作品比过去的精进很多,估计是参与The Wire电视剧集写作,跟David Simon, Ed Burns两个作者几年混下来,得到质的飞跃。也可以从他的早期作品开始看,Nick Stephanos 为主角,明显带着自传的成份。

There is no such thing as "enough." We do what we like and, more important, what we can, in a pinched schedule.
此喵已死,有事烧纸

笑嘻嘻

Post by 笑嘻嘻 » 2007-12-01 17:42

Jun wrote:There is no such thing as "enough." We do what we like and, more important, what we can, in a pinched schedule.
:super:
云浆未饮结成冰

洛洛

Post by 洛洛 » 2007-12-01 22:12

我今天借到了,图书馆还把这个列为热门书籍,只能借两个星期,不可以renew,不一定看得完呢。
其实我对dc背景作设定的书倒没有特殊偏爱。顺便问一句,《我的名字叫红》那个作者写的新书《snow》,有没人看过。
混坛上另一颗新星
luoluo11.ycool.com

洛洛

Post by 洛洛 » 2007-12-01 22:16

dropby wrote:这本书我也看了, 不过看得比较潦草. 除了最主要的案子, 还讲了其他两个很明显是误判的案子. 其中一个案子好象根本就没有翻案的希望. 都是死刑案。

错案也不见得完全是笨. 主案中本来应该是最大嫌犯的那个人, 而且很明显有很大嫌疑, 但是根本没有被查, 因为他好象是毒品贩子, 而他的毒品生意好象是跟警察有勾结的.

我看完这本书, 对司法系统完全失去信任。警察其实最在乎的并不是公理正义, 在社会压力很大的情况下, 经常不过是抓个替罪羊了事。一个人最好不要有案底或者成为社会边缘人。否则一旦有什么事很容易就找你顶岗。而且一个人一旦被误判了,翻案简直就太太太困难了。一般即使翻案了,人也被毁了。书中的两个主角已经非常幸运了,翻了案,又获得赔偿。但是其中一个本来精神就不正常,牢狱生活完全把他毁了。制造冤假错案的警察和起诉官也没得到什么惩罚,而且居然仍然坚信自己没抓错人。

以前看电影动不动一个人就要lawyered up, 我还纳闷呢。现在看来,真的是很有必要啊。
我也觉得tom ward那两个年轻人比主角更惨,一辈子就这么毁了,求生不能的。如果当时他们能真的要求一个律师在旁,事情也许不同,那8小时的审讯也许永远不能把他们定罪。其实比起辛普森来,他们的罪能算什么?(本来应该是清白的)这些小镇里没钱没受过太多教育的孩子是处于很劣势的地位。
混坛上另一颗新星
luoluo11.ycool.com

Jun

Post by Jun » 2007-12-01 22:32

那个不是土耳其的诺贝尔奖得主Pamuk? (声明一下我没看过。)
此喵已死,有事烧纸

洛洛

Post by 洛洛 » 2007-12-01 22:59

对啊。我昨天在书店,今天在图书馆都看到这本snow,文字好像还可以。背景好像是设定在巴基斯坦。
混坛上另一颗新星
luoluo11.ycool.com

Knowing

Post by Knowing » 2007-12-02 12:23

我看了。觉的不好看。为什么不好看也说不上来。就是男主角太知识分子了。
有事找我请发站内消息

洛洛

Post by 洛洛 » 2007-12-07 16:15

The night gardener这本书我看了一半了,我觉得不很合我的口味,(也许看到最后会有转机)这本书比较男性化,主要描述警察日常工作和黑帮小混混,三个主角里(其实这时候cook还没有重新出现)我比较喜欢holiday,比较孤独又有点小坏。gus太家庭化了,感觉沉闷。如果不是又看了jun的书评,我都忘了他是白人了,因为书里用了很多篇幅写他的儿子因为有色人种在学校里受惩罚的事情(其实他儿子也不很讨喜,比较normal的一个teenager)
书中每描述一件事情都要不厌其烦的写清楚具体地点(xx街交界处,xx教堂旁之类)也让我不很感冒,甚至想揪住作者说,你又不是在画dc地图,anyway,感觉有点矫情。对其他不住在dc附近的人可能更没有什么感触。
这本书文字不错,很通顺易读,不过作者为了模仿黑人口语写了很多省略系动词之类的句子。这让正在因为语法而不停修改某篇文章中的我很有点不爽,老想冲进去把“is”,“ing”加上去。
混坛上另一颗新星
luoluo11.ycool.com

Jun

Post by Jun » 2007-12-07 17:52

哈我就猜到不是你那杯茶,你喜欢御手洗那种精灵古怪的。

这个有点想Kurt Wallander 系列和Maigret 系列,大把大把的普通生活细节。

的确,他的人物一点也不讨喜,很不象娱乐作品。我一边看一边感叹平时太习惯了各种的故意讨人喜欢的定势和套路,太习惯了自己都不觉得。
此喵已死,有事烧纸

洛洛

Post by 洛洛 » 2007-12-07 18:01

Jun wrote:我一边看一边感叹平时太习惯了各种的故意讨人喜欢的定势和套路,太习惯了自己都不觉得。
我开始觉得不喜欢可能是里面没有爱情情节,不过福尔摩斯也是没有爱情的一个家伙,但是他就挺讨人喜欢。 :dog001:
混坛上另一颗新星
luoluo11.ycool.com

洛洛

Post by 洛洛 » 2007-12-13 10:05

我昨晚刚把这篇小说看完了。还是感觉一般。我本来以为三个案件(抢劫毒贩,asa,25年前的连环案)是互相关联错综复杂的,所以一直期待着,结果不是,虽然结局也很合理,但是我还是感觉比较平淡。比较可喜的是最后节奏写得很利落,手法写得很好。
觉得cook挺可怜的,也很真实。
准备这个周末再去一趟图书馆,借些书过节看。可能会看些欧洲背景的宫廷小说吧。
混坛上另一颗新星
luoluo11.ycool.com

tiffany

Post by tiffany » 2008-12-16 15:13

hey, I am reading this book, and I knew someone here has done a review!

I am liking the book so far, it has a, as they say, nitty-gritty real life feel. I really like the first case closed by Ramone in this book, a tired out of luck ex-husband killed his ex-wife in a drug-induced fury, due, largely to frustration in life. And his sad drug spree over the town afterwards, for, as Ramone pointed out, he had led a law-abiding life up until that point, and had no idea where to run to even with some money, and waited for police to arrest him. And in the interrogation room, he exlaimed: I do not wanna be here no more. Not referring to the room, but life in general.

It is a heavy book to read, but a good one too.

Stylistically, I like Lehan better. Though I still haven't finished Gone baby Gone, 'cause it is too sad a story to finish.
乡音无改鬓毛衰

Jun

Post by Jun » 2008-12-16 16:30

Dennis Lehane is so much more dramatic and plotty. I like him too, but he is too intense.
此喵已死,有事烧纸

saveas

Post by saveas » 2008-12-17 10:58

Jun wrote:哈我就猜到不是你那杯茶,你喜欢御手洗那种精灵古怪的。

这个有点想Kurt Wallander 系列和Maigret 系列,大把大把的普通生活细节。

的确,他的人物一点也不讨喜,很不象娱乐作品。我一边看一边感叹平时太习惯了各种的故意讨人喜欢的定势和套路,太习惯了自己都不觉得。
请问御手洗是岛田庄司的那个御手洗么?

tiffany

Post by tiffany » 2008-12-23 22:37

我看完了这本夜晚园丁了,真喜欢。然后就跑家门口图书馆看还有没有该作者的别的书,书架子上找了半天,没有。去查本图书馆目录,就这一本儿,还拿在我手里。
乡音无改鬓毛衰

tiffany

Post by tiffany » 2008-12-24 22:11

继续回来说我为什么喜欢这本书,因为细节,大量丰富的细节。尤其喜欢老侦探TC Cook解释说他为什么退休不干了,因为80年代的drug war。貌似是80年代中后期,对于drug的立法突然严厉起来,导致黑人社区大部分人的亲戚啊认识人啊都因为这个进过监狱,导致大家不跟警察合作。我还很喜欢最后的结尾,那个住家好男人警察回家,喝了口威士忌,觉得下去得真顺溜----要是不是为了他的家庭,干掉一整瓶是很容易的事情。感觉就是在这个疯狂的世界里,有个让人保持清醒的东西是多么可遇而不可求的幸运的事情啊。
乡音无改鬓毛衰

Jun

Post by Jun » 2008-12-24 23:33

很强的男性气概,但是完全不装蒜。很难见到。
此喵已死,有事烧纸